Information provided by Retired Fire Fighter Wayne Wilkins
In the Beginning
The Lynn Fire Department had its humble beginnings with the inception of the community, known the as the "Saugust Plantation". Records indicate that the various keepers of inns were required to have a "bed key" and a leather bucket. The key for dismantling beds while the bucket was to be used for application of water in the event of fire.
In 1796 a mass meeting was held and subscriptions wer sought to purchase the first "machine". Records state "and a syringe was purchased and housed on the public grazing lands at the head of Vine Street (now the corner of Vine and South Common Streets) with Captain Munroe being in command". It was not until 1799, when Mr. Newhall’s barn was struck with lightning that the first test was placed on this unit. It is interesting to note that the barn was totally destroyed. In 1803 the next event was entered into the town journals which stated a run was made to Nahant, then part of Lynn. No further mention was found regarding the activities of this company. It must have been successful however as we find that some three years later three additional "fire companies" were established.
In 1835 Mutual Societies were banded together, each autonomous however and a total of eight companies, all having hand tubs, were recognized as being "available". Each company received an annual stipend of $20.00 for socials, etc. It was through these socials that the various companies raised money to support themselves.
By 1869 water mains were installed through the city, hydrants provided and cisterns made available by water being supplied by the Flax Pond Water Company. The fire alarm system came into being in 1871 and Lynn was on her way to have fire protection provided by the community.
On March, 1877, Hook and Ladder Trucks came into being, two being placed into service, on at Mulbry Street and the other at Federal Street. Chemical companies were organized, finally having five, in the various outlying sections of the town. A fire fighter named Holbrook of the Lynn Department perfected a "quick hitch" for the harness of fire horses. He also developed the sliding pole.
On November 26, 1889, Lynn sustained a conflagration that reduced the center of the newly chartered City to ashes. Many studies were conducted as a result. Some of the innovations that came into being as a result were the abolishing of the Board of Fire Engineers, Chief Engineer Moody was made the permanent full-time chief, Thomas Ray, a hero of the Civil War and a company "foreman" was named Deputy Chief while Assistant Engineer John A. Roberts was named Assistant Chief (title later changed to that of District Chief).
On April 6, 1905, at 0800 hours, the department was placed under Civil Service for all employees excepting the Chief and Substitute Call-Men. A full review of the department with these changes are treated, in capsule form, below. It is most interesting to note at that time the fire alarm system in total was placed under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Department, even the fire alarm operators today are not under the control of the Fire Department.
The organization and structure of the Lynn Fire Department as of 0800 hours on April 6, 1905 was as follows:
6 engine companies – steamer and hose wagon
4 ladder companies – one aerial and three service trucks
5 chemical companies
This apparatus was stationed in six fire stations under the direction and management of Chief Engineer Thomas Harris, Deputy Chief Thomas Ray and Assistant Chief John Roberts. Headquarters was at the Broad Street Station with Engine 4, Ladder 3 and Chemical 1. The Deputy Chief was stationed at the Commercial Street Station with Engine 1, while the Assistant Chief Roberts was stationed at the Fayette Street Station with Engine 5 and Ladder 1. At this time each company had a captain, lieutenant and from three to four permanent firefighters on duty. They were augmented by call fire fighters and during off periods for sickness, vacations, etc. were supplemented by substitute call men The men worked "round the clock" with a day off in eight provided that there were no fires. The hours changed at various times and by the time the abolishment of the call fire department in 1920, the on-duty permanent men were granted on day off in five.
The structure and organization operated along these lines from 1905 until the dawn of World War 1 when a depletion of fire fighters existed due to men entering the service of their country. One fire fighter, Thomas Noonan of Ladder 1, was killed in France and is buried in a National Gravesite on foreign soil. However, we note that the end of the horse drawn fire apparatus was appearing during this period. The Lynn Fire Department was the first department of any size to be fully motorized.
Starting in 1910 when Chemical 3 became the first piece of motorized fire apparatus and continuing through until 1913 when Chemical 4 was motorized, the department underwent a major change with the complete motorization of all units. The steam fire engines (all of the Metropolitan Class/Type) had tractors attached to their frames. These were the American-British (called the A&B) type. The ladder trucks were provided with the famous (or infamous) three wheel Knox-Martin Tractors. The hose wagon bodies were installed on Federal Truck chassis. Chemical wagons were replaced with either Pope-Hartford or Knox Chemical Trucks. The combination hose/chemical company at Broadway was replaced by a heavy duty Seagrave hose truck provided with chemical tanks, ladders, high pressure gun, etc. and its designation was changed from Combination 1 to Chemical 5. Likewise a squad unit was purchased and placed into service at Commercial Street. The District Chief of the Western District also used this vehicle for his district automobile. It was designated Squad A. A motor mechanic was hired and thus we have the beginnings of a maintenance unit within the department.
On October 13, 1919, after a considerable delay due to shortages of manpower resulting from enlistments into World War 1, a new engine company (Engine 7) was activated and located at the newly constructed bungalow station in the Pine Hill section at 109 Woodlawn Street. Some observers believe that this was the first triple combination pumper in Lynn, but that is not so. During the period of motorization stated above, Engine 2 was provided with an Ahrens Fox pumper, a relic even in its prime, one of the few with the two parallel air chambers. This unit, however was short lived. While no records are firmed on the subject, many retired fire fighters have told the story of various pumpers being delivered into Lynn for this unit and were unable to meet the acceptance tests. Names of fire apparatus such as Webb, Stutz, McCann, etc have been mentioned in connection with this subject but no records have been found to prove or disprove the stories.
Thus in capsule form, based on records and folk-lore, we have tried to trace from the inception of the settlement now known as the City of Lynn to the point in time when the department underwent a major change both in organization and operation with the implementation of the Two-Platoon System.
Thus the first phase of the department had grown from its origins and this is the way it was "In The Beginning".
As It Was:
At 0800 hours on Monday, February 2, 1920, the two platoon system became effective in the City of Lynn and, enabling legislation concurrent with the local acceptance of theis State Act permitted the city of abolish the call firemen, incorporate those call fire fighters who had served a period of excess of five years into the permanent department. The department was now fully manned, adequately provided with apparatus and, above all, was high in the esteem of the public.
The following was the organization of the department at that time:
Chief Edward E. Chase Headquartered at Broad Street
Deputy Chief William F. Welch Headquartered at Broad Street
District Chief Henry A. Brennan Western District, Commercial Street
District Chief Herbert Robinson Western District, Commercial Street
District Chief John Roberts Eastern District, Fayette Street
District Chief Charles Harraden Eastern District, Fayette Street
Engine 1 A&B / Metropolitan Steamer, Federal Hose Wagon
Engine 2 Ahrens Fox Pumper
Engine 3 A&B / Metropolitan Steamer, Federal Hose Wagon
Engine 4 A&B / Metropolitan Steamer, Federal Hose Wagon
Engine 5 A&B / Metropolitan Steamer, Federal Hose Wagon
Engine 6 A&B / Metropolitan Steamer, Federal Hose Wagon
Engine 7 Ahrens Fox Pumper
Ladder 1 Knox Tractor / Seagrave Service Ladder Truck
Ladder 2 Knox Tractor / Seagrave Service Ladder Truck
Ladder 3 Knox Tractor / LaFrance (Hayes Aerial) Ladder
Ladder 4 Knox Tractor / Seagrave Service Ladder Truck
Chemical 1 Pope-Hartford Chemical Truck
Chemical 2 Federal Chemical / Hose Wagon
Chemical 3 Knox / Martin Chemical Truck
Chemical 4 Knox / Martin Chemical Truck
Chemical 5 Seagrave Chemical / Hose Wagon
Squad A Pope-Hartford Chemical Truck
At this time the department was divided into three districts for administration purposes: Eastern District with Headquarters at Fayette Street; Western District with Headquarters at Commercial Street; and the Central District under the jurisdiction directly of the Deputy Chief (or in his absence the Captain of Engine 4). This arrangement of the Central District was short lived and the units of this district were placed in the Western District.
The Eastern District Comprised:
Chestnut Street: Engine 2, Ladder 4
Fayette Street: Engine 5, Ladder 1
Hollingsworth Street: Chemical 2
Lewis Street: Chemical 4
Broadway: Chemical 5
The Western District Comprised:
Commercial Street: Engine 1, Squad A
Federal Street: Engine 3, Ladder 2
Boston Street: Chemical 3
The Central District Comprised:
Broad Street: Engine 4, Ladder 3, Chemical 1
Franklin Street: Engine 6
Woodlawn Street: Engine7
As was indicated earlier, a mechanic was appointed and a machine shop, repair facilities and other necessary components were provided with the opening in 1920 of the Department Shop at the Franklin Street Station. All units of the department being motorized, the department now stood by to offer not only the best protection for Lynn but was frequently called by neighboring communities for assistance.
Manpower at that time for each company was as follows:
Ladder Companies: Officer and five men
Chemical Units: Officer and two to three men
Engine Companies: Officer and five men (double units)
Officer and four men (single units)
Each Chief had an aide.
Thus on February 2, 1920 the Lynn Fire Department was re-organized and was considered, at that time by standards then in existence, to be adequate for the community. Changes since that time are listed as follows:
June 15, 1924: An Ahrens Fox 750 gpm Pumper was purchased and replaced the steamer-hose wagon at Engine 6. This was the beginning of the modernization of engine companies and also signaled the demise of double companies.
November 29, 1924: Two American LaFrance 750 gpm pumpers were purchased; one replaced the Ahrens Fox (parallel air chamber pump) at Engine 2 while the other was assigned to the newly activated Engine 8 and located in the newly constructed bungalow station at 450 Eastern Avenue.
March 1, 1926: A training program was established at 0800 hours this date. Captain Henry Haddock of Engine 7 was assigned as Department Drill Master and supervised all training and drilling for the department.
May 14, 1927: Two new Ahrens Fox 1000 gpm pumpers were placed into service, one as Engine 3 at Federal Street and the other as Engine 4 at Broad Street. In both cases they replaced the steamer / hose wagon concept.
June 23, 1928: Another Ahrens Fox 1000 gpm pumper was delivered and replaced the steamer / hose wagon for Engine 5 at Fayette Street. This left only one steam fire engine and hose company (double unit). By this time Ladders 2 and 4 were replaced by 75 foot aerials made by Ahrens Fox with the famous Dahill Hoist. Ladder 1 had been replaced by an 85 foot ladder drawn by a White Tractor. Ladder 3 using the original ladder truck had a White Tractor installed. Thus the so-called three wheel tractor had disappeared by this time.
November 12, 1928: As the result of a disastrous fire and explosion at the Prebble Box Toe Manufacturing concern on Brookline Street on November 8, 1928, where twenty persons lost their lives and several buildings were destroyed, a Fire Prevention Bureau was established. Captain John Day of Engine 1 was named Chief Inspector and five fire fighters were assigned to assist him. This was the beginnings of the fire prevention program of this department.
May 21, 1929: Another, the last, of the Ahrens Fox Pumpers, 1000 gpm, was delivered and placed into service at the Commercial Street Station. This replaced the steamer / hose wagon of Engine 1 along with Squad A. Thus the last of the steam fire engines and the double companies was seen. The crews of Squad A were absorbed into the roster of Engine 1.
November 17, 1930: Two 1000 gpm Buffalo Pumpers were delivered (one of the first deliveries of this manufacturer in this area) and assigned to the newly activated Engine 9 and Engine 10. Engine 9 was assigned to the Boston Street Station and Chemical 3 was deactivated. Engine 10 was assigned to the Broadway Station and Chemical 5 was deactivated. About one week prior to this a Maxim Combination hose / chemical company was placed into service at Broad Street replacing the antiquated Pope-Hartford Chemical 1.
March 16, 1931: The City took delivery of the second 1000 gpm Buffalo Pumper and it was assigned to the newly activated Engine 11, and stationed in the recently constructed station at 625 Lynnfield Street. A ladder company was thought of at this station but, due to the effects of the depression, none was ever provided. This station was supposed to have been financially supported by the town of Lynnfield, the City of Peabody and Lynn and large mutual aid first alarm response was planned. However both Peabody and Lynnfield, due to the depression were unable to meet their obligations and no large first alarm line box assignments were established. It is interesting to note that the first response of this company was to the disastrous Hotel Lenox Fire on March 18, 1931.
November 2, 1931: With the arrival of another 1000 gpm Buffalo, Chemical 4 at Lewis Street was deactivated and Engine 12 was activated and assigned to that station.
September 28, 1936: A 750 gpm Buffalo pumper was assigned to the Hollingsworth Street station, designated as Engine 13 and Chemical 2 was deactivated. This unit had the first booster tank in the department.
April 1, 1939: All of the chemical tanks on the existing pumpers had by this time been changed to straight booster tanks. One and one half inch fire hose came into being at this time also.
October 2, 1939: Chemical 1 was deactivated and the Maxim vehicle assigned here was converted into a rescue squad. It was known as Rescue 1 and assigned to Franklin Street with Engine 6.
Trailer boats were also purchased at this time, one assigned to the newly activated rescue company and the other assigned to Ladder 4 (it was son installed as to ride on a cradle under the rear extension of the aerial). There were used in connection with the life safety on ponds, etc.
March 7, 1940: At 0800 hours the department work-week schedule was reduced from the two platoon system of eighty-four hours to seventy hours per week. This was often called the "shorter hours". This system remained in effect only for a short time as in the celebrated court decision of Hurley vs. Lynn, the Superior Court ruled the action by the City Council to abbreviate the work week of the fire department circumnavigated the spirit and intention of the law. The system really only lasted about five weeks when the membership was returned to the two-platoon system. About one year later, March 1, 1942 after special enabling legislation was adopted by the state government, the department finally was placed under the shorter hour system.
May – June, 1941: During this period with the threats of war, the fire department, along with other governmental agencies became aware of the situation and an auxiliary fire department was formed under the Office of Civilian Defense. Several trailer hose wagons, trailer 500 gpm pumping units and other like equipment was purchased, men were trained in chemical warfare and incendiary bombing effects, citizens were recruited to form an auxiliary department, etc.
December 9 and 10, 1941: Upon receiving direct orders from the Federal Government, the entire department was returned to duty as the threats of actual air raids on the Eastern Seaboard were made. These never materialized. The origin and reasoning behind these "scares" were never fully explained by Federal Authorities.
March 1, 1942: As the country mobilized for war, the toll of absentee fire fighters rose with the enlistment of many members. It soon became obvious that the department would have to "make do" with the manpower they had. Engine 3 (Federal Street) was deactivated on a temporary basis during this period and it was not until the end of the war, with Civil Service examinations being held that adequate strength was returned to permit reactivation of Engine 3. It was finally reactivated on January 3, 1948.
December 23, 1947: Due to reconstruction, the offices at City Hall for the municipal government were transferred throughout the city. The Broadway and Federal Street fire stations were utilized, however, apparatus still remained in these stations.
January 3, 1948: At 0800 hours the forty-eight hour work week became operational. Several changes were implemented. This reduction in the department necessitated, along with awaited appointments due to the back-log of Civil Service examinations, several promotions: two district chiefs, eighteen lieutenants and one hundred and thirty five fire fighter positions were added to the department. Of course resulting promotions were, along with these promotions, made. Engine 3 as stated above, was reactivated, but due to the City Hall utilizing Federal Street, it was quartered at the Commercial Street Station with Engine 1 and the District Chief.
May 16, 1949: Engine 3 reassigned to the Federal Street Station with Ladder 2
June 123, 1964: Engine 1, Commercial Street, was deactivated. The Commercial Street and Federal Street stations were abandoned. Engine 3, Ladder 2 and the Western District Chief were assigned to the new station at 725 Western Avenue. Also quartered at this station was Department Headquarters, the Chief of Department and Fire Prevention. Thus the executive branch of the department had moved from the Broad Street station to this new facility. Lynn now operated with twelve engines, four ladders, and one rescue under the supervision of two fire districts.
December 6, 1965: A newly constructed station at 101 Fayette Street was opened on the site of the old Fayette Street Station. Engine 5, Ladder 1 and the Eastern District Chief were assigned here. Engine 12, 23 Lewis Street was deactivated. Engine 13 had its designation changed to Engine 1. Thus the department now was reduced to eleven engines. During the period of construction, Ladder 1 was quartered at the Broad Street Station with Engine 4 and Ladder 3. Engine 5 was located at the Chestnut Street Station with Engine 2 and Ladder 4. The Eastern District Chief was located at Lewis Street with Engine 12.
December 13, 1969: The third phase of reconstruction was completed and a new station activated at 424 Broadway with Engine 10 and Ladder 4 being assigned to it. Engine 2 was deactivated. The trailer boat assigned to Ladder 4 was transferred to Engine 10. Also at this facility, provisions were made for the Maintenance Division and the Training Division to be located here. An adequate repair and maintenance facility was provided. A drill tower was erected, ample drill and training area provided, with a class room for instructional purposes.
Thus was the structure of the Lynn Fire Department at the close of 1969. From its beginning in 1796 through this period we have witnessed the department "In The Beginning", later "As It Was" and now we will see the department as "Is Now"
February 2, 1970: At 0800 hours the work week of the department was reduced to forty-two hours. While this pleased the membership, the manner of implementation caused very difficult times. An order was published at 1000 hours on February 1, 1970 to become effective as of 0800 hours the following morning. Fire fighting units were placed on a rotating three platoon of eight hours each. The change of shifts were at 0800, 1600 and 2400 hours. Also, the designation of the duty groups were changed from "group" to "division". Chief’s aides were abolished. Under the new system, no member had a weekend off. Union action resulted and legal steps were taken. Finally on June 16, 1970, the department work week was restructured with the return of the standard ten and fourteen hour tours of duty. Aides were returned to the Deputy Chief and the District Chiefs.
December 24, 1971: Ladder 2, a 100 foot American LaFrance single unit aerial ladder truck was replaced by a Mack 75 foot Aerial Scope. The designation remained as Ladder 2 and the unit assumed the normal running card of Ladder 2.
December 7, 1972: Due to a multiplicity of structural defects coupled with the failure of the boiler, the Broad Street Station (erected in 1872) was abandoned. Engine 4 was assigned to the Hollingsworth Street Station with Engine 1 and Ladder 3 was assigned to Franklin Street with Engine 6. However, after three tours of duty, Engine 4 was moved to the Fayette Street Station and shared the quarters of Engine 5, Ladder 1 and the Eastern District Chief. It was intended by the municipal authorities to start development to erect a modern station on the site of the abandoned station, 320 Broad Street, but again politics had its way and no station was erected.
February 8, 1974: As a result of intensive studies the prevalence of arson fires was determined to be rising sharply and an Arson Squad was formed. Initially it was comprised of two fire fighters and two police officers with a police lieutenant, working under the direction of Deputy Chief Scollins. They were assigned quarters at the Broadway Station. This unit was reorganized several times due to terminations of service of its members and budgetary constraints.
March 14, 1975: Three new pumpers were purchased, Engine 1 being the first to arrive, was placed in service this date. It was a change in tradition and Lynn saw the first Lime Yellow apparatus. The other two were pumpers with 54 foot Squirt Booms and were assigned to Engines 3 and 5. Engine 5 was in service only fifteen minutes when it responded, as first due to a fire (3 alarms, Box 31) and operated the boom.
July 14, 1975: With the enactment of the Emergency Medical Service statutes, the fire department was given the added responsibility of providing EMT care and transportation. Accordingly, Rescue 1 was modified to accommodate this responsibility. Two ambulances were shifted from the police department to the fire department and operated as an adjunct to Rescue 1.
October 8, 1975: Rescue 2 was activated and stationed at the quarters of Engine 8, 450 Eastern Avenue.
February 4, 1978: The American Insurance Association, after a complete study of the fire problems and fire defenses in Lynn, reduced the fire risk classification of the city. Now Lynn is in the Class II-B group formerly IV-B.
March 24, 1980: Due to budgetary restrictions, Engine 4 was deactivated.
December 28, 1980: As a result of Prop 2 ½ , the department was warned that at least 85 positions would be abolished as of June 30, 1981. However, due to several positions being "open" by way of attrition, and pressure on the municipal fathers, no terminations resulted. Shortages continued to effect the department and from March of 1981 to December of 1983 a total of 56 vacancies existed ( about 20%)
February 28, 1981: Starting on this date with a group fire in Central Square, the Conflagration on November 28, 1981, and a Plastics Manufacturing Concern fire on December 18, 1981, the City sustained three of its most serious fires in its history.
August 31, 1982: The municipal government transferred the Emergency Medical Service responsibility to private concerns. Accordingly, Rescue 2 was deactivated, Rescue 1 was assigned to Eastern Avenue and resumed normal fire department rescue squad services. While the EMS is now under the private sector, the Chief of Department is still charged with overseeing its operation.
Thus, this is the Lynn Fire Department, as "It Was". The following pages list the apparatus and stations of the department as of this date.
While not mentioned previously, we would like to point out that the General Electric River Works Plant in Lynn has its own private fire department consisting of two engine, a fire inspection and fire alarm service. They respond to first alarms in their plant without the Lynn Fire Department.
Stations of the Lynn Fire Department 1984
73 Hollingsworth Street 1912 Engine 1
725 Western Avenue 1964 Department Headquarters
Engine 3, Ladder 2, Western District Chief
101 Fayette Street 1965 Engine 5, Ladder 1, Eastern District Chief
88 Franklin Street 1903 Engine 6, Ladder 3
109 Woodlawn Street 1919 Engine 7
450 Eastern Avenue 1924 Engine 8, Rescue 1
659 Boston Street 1892* Engine 9
424 Broadway 1970 Engine 10, Ladder 4,
Training & Maintenance
625 Lynnfield Street 1931 Engine 11
* Station 9 erected as a Chemical Company Station, 1892, renovated 1971
Apparatus, Lynn Fire Department 1984
Engine 1 1000 gpm American LaFrance 1975
Engine 3 1000 gpm/Squirt American LaFrance 1975
Engine 5 1000 gpm/Squirt American LaFrance 1975
Engine 6 1250 gpm Mack 1964*
Engine 7 1500 gpm American LaFrance 1981
Engine 8 1500 gpm American LaFrance 1981
Engine 9 1500 gpm American LaFrance 1983
Engine 10 1000 gpm Mack 1964*
Engine 11 1000 gpm Mack 1964*
Ladder 1 100 ft. Tiller Mack 1970
Ladder 2 75 ft. platform Mack 1971
Ladder 3 100 ft. Tiller Mack 1964*
Ladder 4 100 ft rear mount American LaFrance 1979
Rescue 1 Squad Unit Chevrolet/ Emergency One 1983
* Gasoline motors were replaced with diesels in 1973. All units, excepting
Rescue 1, are diesel powered. All apparatus except Ladder 3 are lime yellow.
Permanent Chief Engineers:
1873 – Abraham C. Moody
1890 – Charles H. Downing
1905 – Thomas A. Harris
Permanent Fire Chiefs:
December 13, 1912 - Edward E. Chase
October 24, 1931 - William F. Welch
March 6, 1939 - Joseph E. Scanlon
May 21, 1960 - Walter H. Carter
August 6, 1972 - Joseph E. Scanlon Jr.
Following the retirement of Chief Carter, Deputy Chief Frederick L. Miller was appointed the interim acting chief from May 1, 1972 until August 5, 1972.
In 1939 the position of Fire Chief was placed under the provisions of Chapter 48, M.G.L. and the chief was given tenure. In 1961 the position was placed under the provisions of Chapter 31 M.G.L. and the chief then became a Civil Service employee.
Permanent Deputy Fire Chiefs:
1889 - Thomas Ray
1919 - William F. Welch
1932 - Joseph E. Scanlon
1939 - James J. O’Neill Jr.
1955 - Walter H. Carter
1961 - Frederick L. Miller
1973 - James E. Scollins
1979 - William P. Conway
Provisional Deputy Chiefs:
These district chiefs, were appointed provisional deputy chiefs pending the permanent appointment to that rank:
1972 - George Domey
1978 - Vincent Vassallo
1979 - Richard Fitzgerald
Under the structural organization of the department, the deputy chief, in reality, performs the duties and assignments of an Assistant Chief, and there has never been more than one Deputy Chief at a time.
Some of more spectacular and newsworthy fires in Lynn:
11/26/1889 The Lynn Fire Conflagration
2/3/1895 Hutchinson Hardware Store, five fire fighters killed
1/5/1904 Baptist Church Fire, Washington and Essex Streets
5/18/1904 Lynn Theatre Destroyed, Summer Street
4/30/1908 J.B. Blood Grocery Complex, Summer and Church Streets
2/23/1920 "Old Ladies Home", North Common Street, eleven occupants killed
4/14/1921 Sprague and Breed Coal Co., coal wharf
5/8/1922 Kelley Leather and Tanning Block, Summer and Linden Streets
4/19/1923 Essex Castle Apartments, seven occupants killed
3/29/1924 English High School, McGloin Square, one fire fighter killed
6/6/1925 Reed and Costello Coal Co., coal wharf
3/29/1927 Cobbet School, Franklin Street
12/8/1927 Tracy School, Walnut Street
11/8/1928 Preble Box Toe Manufacturing and adjacent properties; fire and explosion; twenty civilians killed
3/18/1931 Hotel Lenox, Bank Square, three occupants killed
1/30/1935 Faunce and Spinney Blocks, Blake Street, one killed
2/10/1938 Lynn Gas Coal Storage, wharf and accessories destroyed
6/26/1940 Ferrina-Chaves Properties, Commercial Street
12/29/1941 St. Mary’s Church, City Hall Square
1/20/1942 Melvin Hall Apartments, Spring Street, thirteen occupants killed
2/8/1947 Sprague and Breed Coal Co. properties, Broad Street
4/29/1947 Paul Revere Hall, Chestnut Street, one fire fighter killed
1947 October and November woods fires destroy thousands of acres of wooded area and effects cripple the city for days
3/20/1948 General Electric Co. magnesium storage, River Works Plant, one fire fighter killed, several injured
9/14/1949 Classical High School Annex, North Common Street
1/29/1955 Westmoreland Apartments, Stewart Street, four occupants killed
11/29/1956 Agos Leather Complex, Boston Street, group fire
5/6/1959 St. Paul’s Church, Union Street
6/12/1972 Abandoned Methodist Church, City Hall Square
1/7/1976 Unitarian-Universalist Church, Nahant Street
12/28/1978 McGrath Buildings, Union and Washington Streets
2/28/1978 Central Square, group fire
11/28/1981 Conflagration Broad and Washington Streets (damage in excess of $70 million)
12/18/1981 Plastics Manufacturing, Brookline Street, one killed